Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I Don't Like You"

Jenna's got some new words she's using. Never did 4 small words hurt so much. Everyone's heard those words before in some capacity. A childhood playmate is typically the one uttering them and they usually sting a little, depending on who is saying them. But when your own child, your own baby who you've spent day and night for the past 2 1/2 years catering to, holding, feeding, burping, changing, hugging, kissing, spoiling and loving looks at you out of the blue and says "Mommy, I don't like you." THAT is what really hurts.

Don't get me wrong. I know she's only 2 1/2 and has no idea of the power behind those words...but I'd be lying if I said that my heart didn't wince just a bit when she said it.

I had to really bite my lip when I responded to this phrase. The first time she said it...I simply said "Well I LOVE YOU Jenna!" She laughed in response. She can be a little evil at times. The second time she said it I let her know that those words hurt my feelings and it wasn't nice to say that to people. She has since made a laundry list of people she does and does not like. She includes people like Daddy, GranMary, Grandpa, Poppy, Kye Kye, Uncle Scott, Auntie Kimmy, Madison, Auntie Elaine, Evie & Marilyn (her daycare providers) her toys, Oscar, Buck...etc. Sometimes I'm on one side of the list...sometimes I'm on the other.

I guess it's just a taste of what's to come when she enters her teenage years right?

Sigh.

No comments: